Monday, March 30, 2009

Corning Ware, one of life’s simple pleasures.

I enjoy cooking, which is good since my wife informed me that the skill was one of several requirements for marriage (strong sarcastic sense of humor was another). Seems a man in the kitchen is worth two behind lawn mowers or six watching football.

Of course, the plan might’ve run aground since on our first Thanksgiving (the one before we wed), I managed to punch a hole in the roasting pan filled with hot turkey drippings while it was in the hot gas oven. A smoking puddle formed across the bottom of the oven. Yes, oh my, or perhaps OMG!

With less luck, I might’ve burned down the apartment complex, but as it worked out, I reacted fast enough to smother it, the turkey was delicious and Ruth forgiving. Okay, at first, I groveled some, but she still allows me to cook turkey, demanding however, that I not use an aluminum throwaway roasting pan.

All of this brings me to the point of this discourse. Recently, I discovered a Corning Ware Electomatic skillet on EBay. This was a necessity in our home when I was a boy. My mother used hers until it exploded, or something, which required fifteen years of continuous daily use, probably.

When I sent the link to Ruth, the skillet became a must have. We did, got it, and I discovered a couple of things.

First, why my mother loved hers. It’s terrific, easy to use and turns out a well-prepared meal, meaning not under- or overcooked.

Second, what is wrong with corporate America (no that‘s not the new name of our nation, yet. Give the CEOs enough time and leverage, billion dollar bonuses, and. . .).

What I believe corporations have done is to put low costs and high profits ahead of customers and their ultimate satisfaction. Corporate marketers led us down the crimson path of promises--or would that be a yellow brick road--with advertising designed to brainwash us into buying whatever stupid, cheap crap they designed and manufactured.

Like disposable aluminum roasting pans.

Sometime back about 10 to 15 years ago, Corning Ware veered off the path of stable success (less profitable perhaps) and joined the fad parade. Instead of sticking with the tried and true, they abandoned it for high profits and low cost.

Don’t think it’s true? How is Corning Ware doing today?

I say bring back items such as the Corning Ware Electromatics line of kitchenware. Make it so it will last for a decade or more and see what happens.

The throwaway mentality that brought us to the brink of financial destruction should die a thousand painful deaths and be forgotten.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I definately agree to bak they don't sell the broning tray mine of years and yeas of use is gone and I am unable to find one if the author can do so let me know @ eluwil2@yahoo . E