Sunday, December 14, 2008

Old Time Southern Christmas Part 1


Regardless of what you believe about the origins of Christmas, this is a time of year filled with magic and wonder. I've seen the holidays turn cynicism away and the cynic into a reveler if for only a few days or weeks.

As a Yankee living in the deep south for most of the previous 20 years, I've grown to appreciate the southern way of celebrating just about everything there is to celebrate. But when it comes to Christmas, there are few places in the world that do it better.

No, we don't use fake snow. Heck, most folks from around here never saw the real thing until 1989 when, after Hurricane Hugo, it snowed for Christmas. God's little joke right there, I'm telling you.

That was my first year living in the Coastal Carolinas, so I drove north to be with family in New Jersey, where it did not snow. Go figure! It has not snowed down this way since, which is fine with me. I had enough before moving here.

Christmas in the south, as you might've guessed, is about Christmas first, gift giving sure, but that is not the reason for the season in the south.

Stay tuned to more.

No comments: