Saturday, February 14, 2009

Appalachian Java Coffee Shoppe

It was a cool rainy morning and we planned to leave the wonderful town of Burnsville, North Carolina that day so the weather felt right. We'd spent the better part of an October week there enjoying the wonderful countryside and the people we met.

Occasionally, departures are loaded with emotions difficult to define. This was one of those. Ruth and I had not taken a vacation for more than two years due to many of those challenges that life throws in one path quite unexpectedly. However, the fact didn't explain the way I felt, and when I glanced over at my wife, knew she felt too.

This was something more, but to this day I cannot find words to describe what that something more might've been. We both loved the area and are determined to return as soon as possible and as often as possible until we might finally put down roots there. And maybe that explains of best of all.

Western North Carolina is the best of several worlds from my past. The environment reminded me of summers I spent in Vermont with and Aunt and Uncle still dear to me today. The town of Burnsville and the people who live and work there reminded me of the town I lived in as a small boy, Patchogue, New York.

I posted a photo of the Appalachian Java Coffee Shoppe as what in my mind best represented Burnsville. Ruth and I went there each morning for tea-- no we don't drink coffee-- and a buttered bagel. Despite the hour or the weather, we were greeted and served by some truly fine people. They represented their town as well as their place of employment. And they shared their humor and warmth with unabashed pleasure.

So, again to all of you whom we met during one week in October, Thank you, and we'll see you again!

No comments: