Friday, February 20, 2009

A Common Tree Dwelling Marsupial Mammal AKA Opossum or How to Trap an Opossum

The first time it happened, Scooter the cat missed all the action. When I discovered the results, Scooter's food dish stood empty, and his water was dirty. To me, it was the markings of home invasion, particularly of the raccoon kind.

The second time it happened, Scooter chased after the invader driving him into the woods behind the house. Scooter returned tail high, a sure sign of victory and a good time had by him.

The third time it happened, the trash was spread across the garage floor, and Scooter missed it all.

The fifth time it happened, I set the trap with a pig's knuckle treat inside. The invader got in and out with the treat without setting off the trap, therefore foiling my plan for his removal.

The sixth time it happened, the invader was leaving the basement as I entered. The near miss was the last straw.

The seventh time it happened, I baited the trap with a slice of medium rare roast beef (thinly sliced mind you).

The following morning proved that the roast beef foiled the invader's plans. Score one for Scooter and his human!

No comments: